What you need to know
Only Principal Investigators with an active Radiation Use Authorization may order radioactive material. Researchers who want to use radioactive material must be listed as a worker on an active Radiation Use Authorization or obtain their own use authorization.
Ordering radioactive material:
- Log into Ariba.
- Review the Guide for Ordering Radioactive Items from Perkin Elmer or the Guide for Ordering Radioactive Items from Other Vendors for instructions of how to place radioactive orders in Ariba.
Storing and securing radioactive material (RAM):
- Store RAM in approved locations when not in use.
- Storage locations (e.g., freezers, refrigerators, cabinets, etc.) for RAM stock solutions must be locked. If the storage location cannot be locked, then a lock box must be installed and secured in the storage location.
- All rooms where RAM is stored must be locked when unoccupied.
Verifying radioactive material inventory:
- Twice per year an Inventory Verification Letter is sent to all labs that possess radioactive material.
- Labs are required to:
- Conduct a physical inventory of all RAM to verify that they possess the radioactive material listed on the Inventory Verification Letter. Discrepancies should be noted on the letter.
- Return the Inventory Verification Letter to EH&S within 30 days.
- EH&S may conduct periodic inventory audits.
Disposing of radioactive material: