The 2023 Laboratory Safety Awards & Innovations Event will be held on December 8, 2023, to celebrate our award recipients, lab safety innovators, and the excellent work being done in support of a strong culture of safety.
Guest speakers will include Provost Tricia Serio, Director, Dian Gay from the Applied Physics Laboratory, Chair, David Perkel from the Biology department, and Laboratory Manager, Virginia Engel from the Civil & Environmental Engineering department.
Please join us in congratulating our 2023 awards recipients!
Top Dawgs in Safety
Departments with the highest laboratory safety ratings in their school or college and a record of engagement with EH&S on safety issues.
- Burke Museum, College of Arts & Sciences
- Friday Harbor Labs, College of the Environment
- Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering, College of Engineering
- Department of Allergy & Infectious Disease, School of Medicine
- Department of Immunology, School of Medicine
- Department of Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy
- Department of Radiation Oncology, School of Medicine
Pack Leaders in Safety
Principal investigators with high laboratory safety ratings, strong safety practices, and a record of engagement with EH&S on safety issues.
- Olivia Bermingham-McDonogh, Biological Structure
- Corie Cobb, Mechanical Engineering
- Sharon Doty, Environmental & Forest Sciences
- Glen Gullickson, UW Bothell
- Francis Kim, Cardiology
- Julie Mathieu, Comparative Medicine
- Julie Palumbo, UW Tacoma
- Alexandra Velian, Chemistry
- Joanne Wang, Pharmaceutics
Partners in Safety
Individuals who have made a positive safety impact or contribution in their roles to support labs or research groups.
- Scott Baebler, Pediatrics
- Lynn Barrett, CERID / Allergy & Infectious Diseases
- Eric Camp, Chemistry
- Donald Hamlin, Radiation Oncology
- Kim Woodrow, BioEngineering
In addition to the awards, researchers and departments at the UW are finding new and innovative ways to address safety issues specific to their labs and workgroups. Find out more about these innovations, which will be displayed on posters at the event.