First published on
06/15/2020 - 18:45
The University's COVID-19 Face Covering Policy describes the face coverings requirements at the UW in accordance with federal and state workplace safety requirements, and applicable local public health directive(s).
Log of changes:
- Added a new exemption on 9/22: "University personnel verified to be fully vaccinated in accordance with the University’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy may temporarily remove their face coverings when formally presenting to or instructing a group or class in a large space from behind a podium or in a stage-like setting. Physical distance of at least six feet from others is required at all times while the face covering is removed."
- Added requirement to wear a face covering outdoors at University events with 500 or more people in attendance on 9/7/21.
- Updated the Exemption "When any party to a communication is deaf or hard of hearing and not wearing a face covering is essential to communication.”
- Updated Exemptions and Policy Enforcement sections on 8/30/21.
- Updated the requirement for all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, to wear a face covering indoors on 8/14/21.
- Added an exemption for fully vaccinated instructors to remove their face covering in specific circumstances on 8/14/21.
- Updated "Wearing a face covering is strongly recommended for fully vaccinated individuals" on 8/3/21- replaced "optional" with "strongly recommended" to be consistent with revised public health guidance for fully vaccinated individuals.
- Updated instructions for students requesting accommodation on 7/19/21.
- Updated policy on 7/7/21 to reflect Washington state requirements for individuals who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and clarified that face coverings are optional for individuals who are fully vaccinated after a supervisor have verified their status.
- Removed the requirement to wear a face outdoors on 7/7/21.
- Added requirement for all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, to wear a face covering in "health care settings, University shuttles, K-12 schools, childcare facilities, and day camps in locations where children are present or expected to be present" on 7/7/21.
- Added "if made with cloth or fabric" after the requirement "Be capable of being laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape" on 5/4/21
- Added clarification that face coverings are required "regardless of vaccination status" on 4/28/21
- Updated requirement "Include at least two layers of material" on 4/28/21
- Removed "teleworking from home" from the list of exemptions (given the scope of the policy is for working on-site at a University location) on 4/28/21
- Clarified that face coverings are not required while "actively" eating and drinking on 4/28/21.
- Updated exemption to the requirement for on-campus residential units by adding "unless a visitor is present" on 4/28/21.