The National Safety Council reminds us to take precautions while decorating for the holidays.
The 12 Steps of Safety include:
1. Never use lighted candles near trees or boughs.
2. Keep poisonous plants out of reach of children and pets.
3. Keep trees away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources.
4. Make sure your tree has a stable platform.
5. Choose an artificial tree that is lableled fire resistant.
6. If using a natural tree, make sure it is well watered.
7. Check holiday lights for fraying, bare spots, gaps in the insulation or excessive kinking in the wire.
8. Turn off all tree lights and decorations when not in use.
9. When putting up decorations, use a step stool or ladder to reach high places.
10. Designate a sober driver.
11. When preparing a meal, wash hands, utensils, sink and anything else that touches raw meat.
12. Reheat leftovers to at least 165 degrees F.