Outdoor UW Events May Require a Permit


Is your group planning a party, departmental graduation ceremony or other event at UW? Your outdoor event may require a permit from the Seattle Fire Department (SFD) if any of the following apply:

  • Outdoor assembly events, public and private, when the attendance exceeds 99 people for an enclosed area and 499 persons for an open area
  • Events that will occupy a space that obstructs a fire lane or building access
  • Tents, canopies, and air-inflated structures
  • Propane barbecues and grills, open flames (including charcoal grills), and candles
  • Fireworks or pyrotechnics

For events requiring a permit, SFD requires the application two weeks in advance of the event. You can complete a special event application on the SFD website. For more information, see the Campus Events page on the EH&S website or call EH&S at 206.221.7055 or SFD at 206.386.1450.

If you are serving food at your outdoor event, you may need to apply for a temporary food permit from EH&S.