The Montlake Landfill is located on in the northeast quadrant of the Seattle campus. It contains the Union Bay Natural Area, shorelines, wetlands and a riparian corridor. The site (formerly called the Ravenna Landfill) was operated as a municipal landfill by the City of Seattle from 1926 until about 1966 and was closed in 1971.
EH&S reviews all projects that occur on the Montlake Landfill to ensure workers are aware of methane gas, soil and groundwater contamination, and landfill cap issues. The UW Executive Vice President established the Montlake Landfill Oversight Committee in 1999 to ensure appropriate use and protection of the site into perpetuity. The Montlake Committee has prepared an environmental guidance document to cover all operational and maintenance practices on the Montlake Landfill. See the Montlake Landfill Project Guide 2015.
The Montlake Committee has also prepared more detailed guidance on methane gas issues. See the Montlake Landfill Methane Action Plan for more information.